Saturday 19 March 2011

Hello again

A lot has happened over the last few months. I've moved jobs, and moved from Chennai to Pune. I spent two weeks in Pune before leaving again on assignment. 
Those two weeks were enough for me to begin to make friends and become a regular at Skips (sensational scrambled eggs, the world's best mango smoothie and tuna sandwiches with bits of apple in them, all of it conceptualised, cooked and served to you by this lady you’ll start calling ‘aunty’ within five minutes of meeting her for the first time) and this other place near office that introduced me to the concept of the bajri wada (or bajra wadi).
And this assignment has kept me in Delhi long enough for me to have become a regular at Changezi Chicken (home of the eponymous dish consisting of bits of slow-cooked chicken in a tangy, thick gravy that contains a host of mystery ingredients – they’re mysterious because I haven't asked anyone or googled, and don't want to for fear of mundanising [yes, that word now exists] the thing) and one of the 316787 (I don’t know the exact number – it’s on the blackboard) people who have wept joyously over (and into) a bowl of khao suey at The Kitchen, and for me to call this hotel room home in Daryaganj ‘home’ in unguarded moments. 
Home, of course, is a place redolent of vazhaithandu vadhakkified with thenga and turmeric and I'm not sure if it's paitham paruppu or ulutham paruppu, tempered with mustard seeds and one magical slit green chilli that makes all the difference. 

6 comments:

T said...

Of the two hundred thousand things you could have blogged about you had to blog about food. Is everyone in on this?

oof ya! said...

oh good, you appear to be back. feeling very jealous of your tuna + apple mix. and are you still hiding out in delhi, one wonders?

Ghanshyam Nair said...

I am. Totally. I'll be here till the World Cup ends. If you're lurking somewhere in the sprawling expanses of this city, do let me know. We must meet up.

Raveena said...

Congrats on the new job! And welcome back to blogging :)

WickerMan said...

skips is totally worth it...scrambled eggs and sausages..!! :)

srujana said...

Win Exciting and Cool Prizes Everyday @ www.2vin.com, Everyone can win by answering simple questions. Earn points for referring your friends and exchange your points for cool gifts.